27 April 2014

Celebrating nature

The theme this week at Lasting Memories is Earth Day.  The challenge is to create a layout celebrating nature in any of its forms.

I took quite a lot of native flora photographs last year during our walk in Dirawong Reserve, Evans Head.  I love banksia, and I'm always intrigued by the forms of the flowers and the spent seed pods.   I couldn't resist the Banksia Man reference in my layout:



My layout is based on the April sketch at Anna's Craft Cupboard.

I'm submitting my layout at Inkido for their current mood board challenge, which encourages us to create a piece about something from our country or culture:



My inspiration was the Snugglepot and Cuddlepie series of classic children's stories, written by May Gibbs.  The stories feature creatures living in the Australian bush. I think most Australian children of primary school age are familiar with the characters.  The banksia men featured on my layout are the "scary bad guys" in the stories!

I used an illustrated book page on my layout, taken from this book:


It was a damaged book, with torn and missing pages, which I purchased at the Lifeline Bookfest for 50c.  I often buy secondhand books to use on my craft projects - just another way to recycle and contribute to Mother Earth.

Other materials:
Echo Park Life is Good - Journal Cards patterned paper
American Crafts Thickers - Sprinkles vinyl alphabets 
Smooch Spritz - Emerald Sprinkle mist
Kaisercraft 5cm Lime paper flower
Prima green mulberry flower


8 comments :

  1. What a great idea! Thank you so much for joining INKIDO CHALLENGE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, what a great layout! Love the idea of cutting out from a damaged book, love the image.
    Those are definitely interesting flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute project! Congratulations! Thanks for playing along with us at Inkido!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun Karen!! And I have never heard of Banskia?? gosh.. ..love it when I learn things in the scrapping world. So glad you are on our team at LM!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely page. I love all kinds of flowers too, and I agree banksia is a lovely plant!
    Thanks so much for sharing your unusual project with us at Inkido! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! That is too cute! Perfect addition for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally cute and fun! Thanks for playing with us at Inkido :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool pics! Love that banksia man! I've never seen banksia b4!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to leave a message :)